Portal for


    Would you like to continue your study programme, e.g. from the second year to the third year of the bachelor? In that case you can re-enroll.

    Do you want to start the master after having finished the bachelor? In this case you have to apply for a new programme, for example the master programme.

    Deadlines for (re-)enrolment academic year 2021-2022

    • 30 September 2021 for the 1st semester
    • 15 February 2022 for the 2nd semester

    Applying with a foreign degree? There are different deadlines, check them here.


    You will receive an email for re-enrolment from the Education and Student Administration after your proclamation. After having received this e-mail:

    1. Go to your Student SelfService
    2. Log in with your VUB email address and password
    3. Click on the button 'Admissions and (Re-)enrollment'
    4. In the menu on the left, select Re-enrollment.
    5. Indicate the programme you wish to re-enrol in and click 'continue'.
      ! The programme you want to re-enrol in is not indicated in the list? Then you cannot re-enrol in it and you must apply for it (see below at 'enrolment in a new programme')
    6. You are now on the introduction page of a mandatory questionnaire. If you click 'next', the questions will start.
    7. After the questionnaire, you can set your privacy preferences and after that you will see the contract. Tick the box' 'schrijf mij in (translated: enroll me)' and click 'submit' once.
      ! Would you like to change from day to evening classes (only possible for programmes also being taught in the evening/weekend)? If so, first re-enrol and then fill out the form 'enrollment Working and studying' and hand it in at the Education and Student Administration.

    You are now re-enroled. You can check the status of your submitted applications when you click on "Admissions & registration" in the menu on the left. If you're accepted, you'll be able to sign the study contract there as well.

    Enrolment in a new programme

    For a new programme you must apply via the Student SelfService.

    1. Log in with your VUB email address and password

    2. Click the button 'Admissions and (Re-)enrollment'

    3. In the menu on the left, select New Application.

    4. Go through all the tabs and at 'program selection' choose the programme of your choice.

    Were you a VUB student in the past year? You do not need to upload any documents at 'document checklist'.

    4. At 'confirm programme' click the icon for completing (the green check mark) in order to submit your application.

    5. Confirm when you are asked if you are sure about submitting.

    You will receive a confirmation of submitting your application on screen. You will receive status updates for your application per email in the next (working)days. You can check the status of your submitted applications when you click on "Admissions & registration" in the menu on the left. If you're accepted, you'll be able to sign the study contract there as well.

    Are you new to the VUB? Welcome!

    Are you interested in studying at the Vrije Universteit Brussel?

    You have a non-Flemish diploma and would like to come and study at the VUB? In a nutshell:

    You must precisely follow the order of the steps: you can not skip a step

    1. submit an online application to request admission for a study programma at the VUB
      --> If you are admitted you will receive a conditional letter of acceptance. Once you have received this letter -->
    2. After receiving confirmation from your school regarding your graduation we will be able to allow you to sign the online enrolment contract.
    3. sign the enrollment contract online
      --> after signing the enrollment contract you create your VUB NetID and register your courses

    All information about how to become a student at the VUB is available via the dedicated pages about applying and enrollment.

    ! From the 2019-2020 academic year, the study programme is no longer mentioned on the student card.

    Student card and certificates

    After you have (re-)enroled at the VUB you will receive a student card. Your student card comes with an A4 document containing three registration certificates.

    Example VUB student card

    Home address in Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, France or Luxembourg?

    You will receive your student card and certificates as soon as possible - but at the latest after two weeks - by post at your home address.

    No home address in Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, France or Luxembourg?

    In that case you will receive an email when you can come to collect your student card and enrolment certificates in person at the Education and Student Administration.

    Lost your student card? Need an extra enrollment certificate?

    Request them online


    After your (re-)enrolment you receive registration certificates and a student card. But what should you do in case you need a different certificate or you need to have a form filled in?

    Certificates are delivered by mail and duplicates via email. It is not possible to obtain these at our office.

    Registration certificate for public transport subscription

    For buying a subscription for public transport at the student rate you need a registration certificate from the VUB.

    Current VUB-students receive registration certificates (A4 document containing 3 registration certificates) together with their new student card by mail.

    New VUB students

    1. receive attestation for public transport during their registration on campus. Did your registration take place entirely online? You will receive registration certificates (A4 document containing 3 registration certificates) together with your student card.
    2. receive their registration certificates afterwards with their student card as well

    Requesting certificates or having forms filled in

    You can request a certificate via an online form or request it per email. Please be aware that this can take roughly 7 working days.

    Online form

    You can request the certificates below via the online form:

    • Enrolment/registration certificate
    • Graduation certificate
    • Deregistration certificate
    • Duplicate student card
    • Proof of payment of tuition fee
    • Attestation of language of instruction
    • Study curriculum (overview of all your VUB enrolments)
    • Standard form study progress (for student visa)


    You can request all certificates via email (not only the ones which are listed in the online form). Please add to your email: 

    • your first and last name (and student number if you know this)
    • which certificate you request
    • for which programme you request the certificate
    • in which language you want the certificate: English or Dutch
    • at which address and / or email address you want to receive the certificate

    I need to have a form completed or signed

    Send the form to us per email

    Send an email >>>

    I need a duplicate diploma

    There is a special procedure for that

    To the procedure >>>

    I need a credit certificate

    You can request this written proof of passing an exam via email from the faculty that offers the course

    Faculty contact details >>>

    Transcript of records

    A transcript of records will only be available once the Examination Board has been convened, and has discussed your examination results. Your official transcript, including the examination results of each course as well as the proclamation code, can then be downloaded via the Student SelfService.

    ! In January a transcript of records will only be available for students graduating in January.

    If there is no transcript of records available for you yet, but you do need an official transcript of records, please contact your faculty.

    Tuition fee

    From the time of enrolment you owe tuition fee to the VUB. You will receive the tuition fee invoice in the inbox of your VUB email.

    Calculation tuition fee = fixed amount + (variable amount x number of registered ECTS credits).

    Calculation of your tuition fee

    The tuition fee consists of a fixed amount and a variable amount:

    • the fixed amount is a fixed cost which is paid once per academic year
    • the variable amount is a specific amount per ECTS credit in your year programme.

    The tuition fee = the fixed amount + (the variable amount x the number of registered ECTS credits).

    The amount that you will pay for the fixed and the variable amount depends, among other things, on:

    • the programme you enrol in;
    • your nationality (EEA or non-EEA);
    • the number of ECTS credits that you register for;
    • whether or not you are a scholarship student;
    • the type of contract you have: a credit, exam or diploma contract 

    Example tuition fee calculation (2020-2021)

    A non-EEA student who enrols for the Master of Science in Management - a programme within the faculty of Social Sciences and Solvay Business School - (incl. the preparatory programme of 18 credits) for 78 ECTS credits in total will need to pay € 4.570,00 with the calculation as follows: €1450,00 (fixed amount) + €40,00 (variable amount) * 78 ECTS.

    The rules that apply to the tuition fees, can be consulted in the Teaching and examination regulations 2020-2021 (see from article 'calculation of tuition fees').

    Tuition fee payment

    Click on the button to have more information about a certain topic.

    Amendments that affect your tuition fee

    Changes to your programme in the course of the academic year might have an impact on the calculation of your tuition fee. Click on the button to have more information about a certain topic.


    It is important that your personal information in the Student SelfService is correct. This will appear on your diploma and determines how the VUB communicates with you.

    If you have problems managing your personal data, you can contact the Education and Student Administration.

    How to manage your personal information in Student SelfService?

    In the Student SelfService, you can view your personal data and also change some data yourself. To view your data, navigate via the main menu to the tab 'Profile'.

    Some data, such as your home address, you can not change yourself

    A number of data, such as your name, date of birth, nationality and your home address, cannot be modified. If these data are incorrect, you can contact the Education and Student Administration.

    Via the menu on the left, you can check and edit some of your personal details.


    You cannot change your home address yourself. Please contact the Education and Student Administration for this via e-mail. Add an extract from your eID or proof of domicile address of the municipality to the email.

    In addition to your home address, you can add another address (e.g. your student's apartment address) to your data. To add an address, click the tab 'Addresses' and then add a mailing address. You can choose the date from which the new address will apply. Then click 'Save'.

    Telephone numbers

    You can add a telephone number by clicking 'Contact Details'. You can also edit an incorrect telephone number or delete a telephone number.

    VUB correspondence will always be sent to your VUB e-mail.

    E-mail addresses

    You can add a personal e-mail address by clicking 'Contact Details'. You can edit an e-mail address by directly clicking on it. You can also delete an e-mail address added. Note: VUB correspondence will always be sent to your VUB e-mail. You can easily set a "forward" so that all your university e-mail is automatically forwarded to another address (instructions).

    Emergency contacts

    In this tab, you can enter the data for one or more contacts to be contacted in the event of an emergency. To add a new person, click on the '+' on top of the page. It's also possible to delete a contact person. To do this, you click on the contact person, a pop-up screen will open. To remove the person, you just have to click 'delete'.

    Preferred language

    In addition to your personal data, you can set your preferred language. This will be taken into account, wherever possible, for all communications. However, deviations are possible. You can choose between Dutch or English.

    To do this click on 'Campus Preferences', select the desired language (Dutch or English) and press 'Save':


    You can change your study programme, register extra courses, cancel courses or terminate your studies at the VUB. Please keep in mind the deadlines, the necessary steps and the possible consequences.

    Talk about your choice of studies, desired changes or doubts?

    • Do you doubt your study choice and are you thinking of doing something else? Please contact the VUB Study Guidance.
    • Do you experience your study programme as 'too heavy'? Or do you have the idea that you want to include more courses? Please contact your learning path counsellor.

    Steps to change your study programme, cancel or take extra courses

    To change your study programme, cancel courses or take extra courses, you have to take some administrative steps. Click the buttons below for more information.

    Discontinuation of your study programme is not possible from 15 May


    When you think about terminating your studies, please consider the consequences on tuition fees, child allowance and scholarships, and learning account. It is important for your further study career to take the necessary administrative steps on time.

    Please note Discontinuation of the study programme is not possible from 15 May until the end of the academic year (VUB Teaching and Examination Regulations, article  'Discontinuation of the programme').

    Steps to terminate your studies at the VUB

    If you completely want to terminate your enrolment at the VUB follow these next steps:

    Consequences on tuition fees

    Reimbursement of (a part of) your tuition fee depends on the amount already paid and the time of termination:

    • Discontinuation up to and including 30 November: Reimbursement of the tuition fee paid for first semester and year courses. The fixed amount remains due.
    • Discontinuation from 1 December until 15 March (included): Reimbursement of the tuition fee paid for second semester courses. The fixed amount remains due.
    • Discontinuation as of 16 March: The full tuition fee remains due to the VUB.

    ! Discontinuation of your studies does not release you from your financial obligations to the VUB. The tuition fee due at the time of terminating your studies remains to be paid.

    Permanent training programmes When you cancel your enrolment for a permanent training programme, your tuition fee will not be refunded. Permanent training programmes are not included in the Teaching and Examination Regulations.

    Consequences for your child benefits and scholarship

    If you terminate your studies, this may affect your entitlement to child benefits and your scholarship from the Flemish Community. For more information on this matter, you can contact Social legal & financial support, your child benefits institution or your scholarship institution.

    Consequences on learning account

    Information about the consequences of terminating your studies for your learning account can be found on the learning account page. For advice, please contact your learning path counselor.

    NOT available on campus right now. Only via email.


    The Education and Student Administration manages the administrative details of VUB students.


    Postal address
    Pleinlaan 2 - 1050 Elsene

    Not available
    by phone
    Student administration is
    only available by e-mail


    Need student card or certificate?

    Send an e-mail or fill out the online form

    Our mailbox is located next to the door of building C room 2.02

    You can deposit documents for signature / for your file in our mailbox. Do not deposit money or training vouchers! Depositing at your own risk.