Portal for

    Let us know what your needs are

    We strive for equal opportunities and diversity among our students, therefore we offer students with special needs the option to request a reflex statute.


    Reflex stands for reasonable flexibility. It involves making necessary adjustments to the teaching and examination regulations, to give you an equal chance during evaluations. For example: more time to complete an exam, tolerance for spelling errors, etc.

    These flexibility measures will be considered reasonable when they meet the following three criteria: feasible for the student in question, justifiable for the other students and acceptable for the professor.

    Who qualifies for Reflex?

    Any student in need of extra facilities, changes in timetables and different evaluation methods can request a Reflex statute. We basically distinguish the following 4 categories:

    Students with a disability

    Visual/auditory/motoric disability - Coordination disorder - Chronic disease - Learning disorder - Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) - Autism spectrum disorder - Tic disorder - Psychiatric disability 

    VUB student-entrepreneurs

    Students who are owning a business or who or planning to start their own business in combination with their studies.

    Working students

    Students who work full time or part time in combination with their studies

    Student representatives

    Students with the authorisation of student representative inside the VUB

    Student athlete?

    Are you a student athlete? You may need special facilities and flexibility in your classes, too. For this, you can contact Topsport and Study.

    Is your situation different than the ones mentioned above?

    Contact a student psychologist

    Request a Reflex statute

    A few necessary steps

    Schedule an appointment

    First, you need to schedule an appointment with one of our student psychologists. You can do this by

    VUB student-entrepreneurs can schedule an appointment by sending an email to start@vub.be


    The student psychologist will discuss your needs during an individual intake. After that, we will process your request and check the validity of your attestation. As soon as your request is approved, you will be notified and acknowledged as a Reflex-student.

    To receive special facilities, your request should be accompanied with a correct professional certificate. Don't forget to bring your diagnostic report, work certificate or student authorization to your appointment.

    Under the tab ‘Administration’ you can find an overview of those documents needed to become acknowledged as a Reflex-student.

    Request accommodations

    Once acknowledged as a Reflex-student, there are some additional things you need to follow up when you request reasonable accommodations for a course or an exam.

    Required information

    You must pass on the following information to the study guidance via reflex@vub.be:

    • Your student number
    • The course(s) for which you request reasonable accommodations
    • The titular of the course
    • The reasonable accommodations you want to request

    The student psychologist will pass on your request to your professors through an online tool. You will be notified by email about the status of each request. Please read these emails very carefully. It's an additional step to take, but this will allow the faculty staff to organize your evaluation to suit your needs.

    Important deadlines for the application:

    • 1st semester:  1 December
    • 2nd semester: 1 May
    • 2nd session:    15 July
    • Mid-term evaluations: 1 week before the evaluation

    Requests that are send after these dates or that are not sent to ‘reflex@’ will not be considered.

    Students facing an exceptional situation after these deadlines can contact the Study Guidance to consider their request.

    Documents needed as certification:

    Students with a disability: a diagnostic report (for learning disorders) or a certificate of your doctor, psychiatrist or psychologist

    Working students: a certificate of your employer

    Student-entrepreneurs with an existing business: business number, description of your business, most recent annual accounts, if possible a certificate of business management

    Student-entrepreneurs planning to start a business: description of your business, business plan for the next 12 months, if possible a certificate business management

    Student representatives: proof of authorization as representative inside the VUB


    Your Reflex file will be followed up by a student psychologist and will be treated strictly confidential. Information will only be shared with others with your permission.

    When requesting your student facilities, we will never share the reason for your request.