Portal for

    Expand your horizons

    Going abroad may be a life changing experience

    Find out all exchange possibilities for your programme.


    There are a few ways to help you finance your studies abroad:

    • Erasmus+ grants
    • Non EU-Scholarships
    • Financial Support by VUB
    Covers 50-60% of your expenses abroad


    While doing an Erasmus exchange in Europe you can receive an Erasmus grant. On average this grant covers 50-60% of the expenses that are made while abroad.

    The grant amount is settled by the National Agency for European programs in Flanders, called EPOS. Flemish students that receive a scholarship by the Flemish government will receive an additional top-up of 100 EUR. 

    Because the cost of living is different throughout Europe, there are different grant amounts awarded depending on your destination.

    More information & application procedure >>

    Studying outside Europe? There are specific regulations per programme


    For the exchange programs with destinations outside of Europe there are specific regulations per program that is offered. 

    Generieke Beurzen
    650 EUR / 850 EUR with Scholarship* 
    Additional information: Return Flight covered

    Priority Country Program
    650 EUR / 850 EUR with Scholarship* (Max 2600 EUR)
    Additional information: Return Flight covered

    The Washington Center
    7500 EUR / 9000 EUR with Scholarship*
    Additional information: extra cost: 7500 USD Program Fee, 5150 USD Housing Fee, 60 US Application Fee, +/- 320 USD Visa Fee

    No Scholarship
    Additional infromation: No Tuition Fee

     VLIR - UOS Reisbeurzen
     1x 1000 EUR
    Additional infromation: /

    *The additional funding for students with a scholarship is only applicable if you receive a scholarship or “studietoelage” by the Flemish government. 

    For more information contact the International Relations and Mobility Office.

    Difficulties financing your study abroad? Contact the Social, legal & financial support team.


    Exchange grant

    Belgian students (*) who experience difficulties financing their study period abroad, can apply for an exchange grant (buitenlandtoelage). With this exchange grant, you can finance the study costs abroad (transport, housing, study books, etc.). In order to receive this grant, there are general and specific conditions you have to comply to.

    (*) Some EU/EEA-students can be entitled if they live in Belgium for at least five years or if they (or their parents) worked in Belgium at least one year. Non-EEA-students can be entitled if they have a permanent residence in Belgium.

    Social, legal & financial support team

    If you are not entitled to an exchange grant and experience difficulties in paying the study expenses for your international exchange, you can contact the Social, legal & financial support team to see if you are eligible for another kind of financial support. All your questions will be treated confidentially and your specific situation will be taken into account.


    for outgoing exchange students.

    1. Faculty nomination

    The nominations are done by your exchange coordinator. Nomination procedures start in December, so you should contact your exchange coordinator sooner rather than later.

    After consulting with your exchange coordinator, he or she will let you know if you may partake in your exchange program. Please note that this approval will be determined by:

    • The results you obtained
    • The approval of the guest institution

    Not sure who your exchange coordinator is? Have a look at the info file of your programme.

    2. Learning Agreement & Student Self Service

    Your exchange coordinator will let the Education and Student Administration know if you've been nominated. They will adjust your student profile in the Student SelfService and add a To Do List.

    You can consult your To Do List by navigating to:
    Main Menu > Self Service > Campus Personal Information > To Do List.

    This To Do List will show all administrative steps. It looks something like this:

    The first thing on your To Do List will be 'Learning Agreement'.

    The template of your Learning Agreement (LA) will be sent to you by e-mail. It should be filled out digitally and sent to exchange.outgoing@vub.ac.be. It will be added to your file and you'll see that the status in your To Do List has changed from ‘initiated' to 'received’.

    Note: You should send the document from the e-mail address mentioned in your learning agreement.

    Do not forget to apply at your guest institution.

    Some institutions will inform you of their procedures, others will not. Submitting an application and sorting out your administration at the guest institution is your own responsibility.

    3. OLS: Online Linguistic Support test

    You will need to take an Online Linguistic Support test (OLS) before leaving and another one when you get back. This test evaluates your language proficiency, doing another test when you get back lets us measure if it has improved during your stay.

    The test takes approximately 50 minutes and contains five main parts:

    • grammar
    • vocabulary
    • key communication
    • listening
    • reading

    The result you obtained is not visible to the guest institution. Your guest institution is not permitted to organise an additional language test or demand the result of the OLS test.

    Please be aware that you should indicate a certain language proficiency in your LA and you should have obtained this proficiency when you leave.

    Not happy with your result? Want to improve your knowledge? Send an e-mail to exchange.outgoing@vub.ac.be to get access to free online courses.

    Please note: Students whose mother tongue is the main language of instruction are exempted from the test.

    4. Approval faculty & guest institution

    There are three parties who should agree to your exchange program:

    • the student
    • the VUB
    • the guest institution.  

    This approval is given by signing your Learning Agreement. The approval of student is given by him- or herself by filling out the form and signing it, the approval of the coordinator is given in your To Do List. The Education and Student Administration will then nominates you at the guest institution.

    Your learning agreement will be an official contract once it has been signed by all three parties.

    Please note that you will only be allowed to leave once you have obtained sufficient grades on your exams.

    5. Departure (package)

    After receiving official approval from your exchange coordinator, you will receive a departure package.

    This package contains:

    • Erasmus Charter: Informs you of your rights and duties as an exchange student.
    • Grant agreement: Needs to be sent to exchange.outgoing@vub.ac.be. The first part of your Erasmus+ grant (70%) is paid after submitting the grant agreement and the Certificate of arrival and departure (CAD).
    • Certificate of arrival and departure (CAD): The arrival part is needed for the first part of your Erasmus+ grant. The departure part is needed for the second part of your Erasmus+ grant.

    6. Return

    When you return, the Education and Student Administration asks three things from you:

    • Certificate of arrival and departure (CAD, signed by your guest institution)
    • Transcript of records of your guest institution
    • Take the second part of your OLS test (we receive these results automatically)

    You will receive the remaining 30% of your Erasmus+ grant when receiving these three documents. The faculty will also process the grades you have obtained.

    Please take into account that your grades will be converted and that they may differ from the result you have obtained at your guest institution. For more information, please contact your exchange coordinator.

    Get in touch!

    Do you have any questions? Do not hesitate to contact us