Portal for

    Deliberation regulations at the VUB

    Your examination period is over and you have questions about your grades, deliberation or proclamation code?

    On this page you wil find all the information about consulting your grades, how your exam results are rounded, the way in which failed courses can be allowed, your proclamation code and which academic levels of distinction are granted when you finish the programme.

    The information on this page summarizes the teaching and examination regulations of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel.  Faculties can have additions to these central regulations. You can find them in the supplementary faculty teaching and examination regulations.

    Would you like some more guidance? Then participate in one of the program-specific group sessions, organised by your study path counselor.

    Transcript of Records

    A transcript of records will only be available once the Examination Board has been convened, and has discussed your examination results of the examination period. Your official transcript, including the examination results of each course as well as the proclamation code, can then be downloaded via the student SelfService.

    The meeting of the Examination Board differs from faculty to faculty. In January a transcript of records will only be available for students graduating in January.

    It’s important to not only consult your grades but that you also download your transcript of records. It contains a lot of valuable information (for example your proclamation code).

    How to consult and download your grade sheet can be found here.


    An examination mark is assigned to each course. Your grade is expressed as a whole number (form zero to 20) and is established according to the calculation method described in the study sheet or Canvas.

    You obtain a credit certificate and pass a course when you have obtained a final grade of at least 10/20

    Sometimes it comes down to a decimal!

    The rounding of exam results can make all the difference.

    All grades and averages will be rounded as follows:

    • rounded down if the decimal is < (less than) 0,5 (9,4/20 will be 9/20)
    • rounded up if the decimal is ≥ (more than or equal to) 0,5 (9,5/20 will be 10/20)

    The rounding will be applied to the exam result only. This will not be done for the possible separate parts that will lead to the final exam result.

    You can read about this regulation in the articles on deliberations in the teaching and examination regulations.



    check the new regulations here

    Proclamation code

    The examination period is over and you know your grades! However, it is also important to check your proclamation code!

    The proclamation code is the only official result that determines whether you are allowed to continue your programme of if you have successfully completed the program. This proclamation code can only be found in your transcript of records.

    Are you curious about the meaning of your proclamation code? Then be sure to take a look at this page! All proclamation codes, including their meaning, are listed.

    Ranging from merit to greatest distinction

    Calculate your average and see what distinction you have.

    Based on the average final result of a student who passed successfully, an academic level of distinction will be awarded.

    To calculate the average result you multiply the credits of a certain course unit with your score. Thereafter you divide this number by the total amount of credits you have finished in your programme.

    The following academic levels of distinction shall be awarded:

    • passed with merit: the average final result is less than 68%
    • passed with distinction: the average final result is 68% or higher
    • passed with great distinction: the average final result is 77% or higher
    • passed with the greatest distinction: the average final result is 85% or higher

    The academic level of distinction will be indicated on your diploma.

    Upon completion of a bridging or preparatory programme students receive a specific certificate, not a degree. These students therefore cannot obtain an academic level of distinction.

    Attention! An academic level of instinction can only be awarded if a minimum number of ECTS-credits has been obtained within the programme at the VUB:

    • At least 60 ECTS-credits for a bachelor’s programme
    • At least half of the total study load for a master’s programme